Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Day of Mental Preparation

Not a whole lot happened today, so I don't think I have much to say.

For our documentary, our class has decided to interview a variety of local Cypriots (bar tenders, restaurant owners, men, women, generations both old and young) to find out what sort of impact food might have on Cypriot traditions.  Particularly relating to the meze.

Yesterday, as I mentioned, we interviewed Mattheos at his restaurant in the Old City.  As we played back the footage today of that interview, we realized that Kendra was not recording when he talked about moving his restaurant from The Green Line to another, safer location.  So now I think we have to go back and interview him again for pick ups.

The other group went to a restaurant called Amessa which is owned by two Syrian gentlemen and their wives.  They wanted to interview the gentlemen, who are both named Mohommad, because several of the students have come to know them fairly well over the last 8 days.  The Mohommad's serve a meze at their restaurant (because meze is apparently not just a Cypriot tradition) and speak fairly good english.  Two things that make them perfect candidates for these interviews.

My group was supposed to interview the bartender from a bar named Ivanhoe's at 6 PM.  Sadly, the bartender informed Whit (who is acting as executive producer for this project) that he had to leave for Larnaca due to an emergency but should be back by 9:30 PM.  In the end, we wound up not meeting him at all and will have to reschedule our shoot for another time.  I just hope that everything is okay on his end.

In short, of the 3 film shoots I've been scheduled to work on, two need to be reshot and one had to be rescheduled from the start. Twice.

This is sort of beginning to feel like my luck with JEM 336 this past semester all over again.  But I'm choosing to remain.... cautiously optimistic.

Tomorrow morning at 9 AM we board the bus for a fun-filled weekend of sight-seeing and beach!  We will be stopping by Kolossi castle (which apparently isn't really a castle so much as a fortified tower), the Tomb of the Kings (which never really housed the tombs of any kings, just nobility), some mosaics, the location of Aphrodite's birth, and hopefully a few more unexpected gems.  Plus we will be visiting the beach at Limassol (or Limassos, depending on whether you choose the Greek version or not).

I will not have my computer from tomorrow through Sunday evening because there is no wifi where we will be staying (but my phone will STILL work AND will be on!).  I will, however, try to make journal entries so that I pull double time on the blogs when I get back, so I will be caught up for Monday :)

I hope everyone has a great weekend!!  Here's hoping to even out my tan!!


No comments:

Post a Comment