Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Homemade Bread

This morning we had our first video shoot for our documentary and it was ... interesting.  On multiple levels.

Anyone who knows my mom, knows that she loves to make homemade sour dough bread.  So, naturally, I love homemade breads.  But this lady makes a living off of her bread and makes loaves all day long, earning around 200 euros a week.

Since my group was responsible for filming the bread making experience, I took a camera that was mounted into a steering wheel of sorts.  Picture the outer circle of a steering wheel that is open in the middle with a mount that you can slide a camera into. 

 It was surprisingly fun to operate, but holding your arms in front of you with the weight of the camera and wheel for extended periods of time begins to burn a little bit.  I figure I got some sort of workout by using it, haha.

After we got the cameras on the same settings, and got our talent (meaning two of my classmates, Constantia as the translator, and the bread lady) set up with microphones, we began filming.  We basically followed the lady through the whole bread making process, from making the dough through kneading it to baking it.

The whole process was really fascinating overall.  She learned to bake bread from her mother, but her children are not continuing the family tradition.  She says her son is interested in baking bread, but the lady doesn't think his wife will allow him to be a bread maker.  Haha

When we got back to the room, we captured the footage from the tapes into Final Cut (which is the video editing software, for anyone who is unfamiliar) only to discover that there are waves through much of the footage.  

Which means we will have to go reshoot. Everything.  

The lines were not so noticeable on the cameras at the time, but were caused by a difference in the wattage or frequency of local electricity and our equipment.  Or something to that extent.  For anyone who had to suffer through my endless complaining this past semester about having to reshoot every project at least 3 times, you'll know that this is now apparently par for the course for me, personally. Haha

So tomorrow we are going to the Old City to a farmer's market of sorts.  Then I think we will actually cross over the Green Line into the Turkish occupied portion of Cyprus for a few minutes.  No need to be alarmed or stressed, people visit over there all the time.  You just have to be a little more aware of your surroundings and not do anything stupid :)

That'll be all for this blog.  I'm tired, and I'm missing the local siesta so I think I may go partake.



No comments:

Post a Comment