Monday, June 6, 2011

The Lady of Cypriot Freedom

Today has been a long day.  But I suppose, overall, it has been pretty good.

We started out the day attending class at The University of Nicosia with Dr. Legg.  First we viewed the 30 minute documentary that last year's study abroad class made and then we brainstormed ways to successfully execute the idea for this year's video.

Needless to say, with 13 individuals, we had many ideas.  As (I think) I mentioned before, our class has been divided into two groups which have become known as "the quiet" group and "the loud" group.  I happen to be in the quiet group, which I know may shock those of you who know me.  But in new social environments, I tend to hang back and take everything in as I assess the situation and personalities.  So I guess this leaves me being classified as "quiet."  And I suppose there are worse things I could be called, haha.

Anywho, my group will be undertaking the first filming which happens tomorrow.  I'd like for everyone to understand the amount of pressure I feel, being part of the first group to film in this particular situation.  First, we are not working with a full-fledged script.  That's virtually impossible to do in an interview/observation situation.  Second, we have never met the lady we will be filming.  In fact, we aren't even completely sure she speaks any english.  Fortunately, Constantia (one of the study abroad coordinators, and a local Cypriot) will be joining us and can translate if needed.  Third, we know nothing of the environment in which we will be filming, so we can't adequately prepare ahead of time for potential shots.  So tomorrow should be an interesting adventure.

After class ended, we attended a cooking seminar with a guy named Ioannis (which translates to John, in English) who actually earned his degrees here in America, but is a Cypriot by birth.  Not only did we get (yet another) history lesson, but he provided us with an awesome array of recipes for cypriot dishes!  I can't wait to try them out on my test subjects! I mean...... friends and family!

Having the afternoon free, Kendra and I (and a handful of other classmates) decided to take a bus into the Old City to wander around on our own.  After waiting around for about 45 minutes for the bus to arrive, we made it to the Old City in no time.

A private chapel built for one
of the early Kings of Cyprus
Kendra, Sarah and I wanted to wander around with no particular goal at first, so we found ourselves retracing the steps we'd taken on our first tour of the Old City.  We perused many of the gift shops (I actually purchased a souvenir for someone!), talked with some of the shop owners (who are very nice), and continued on our way.

Kendra and I especially wanted to visit the churches and museums in the Old City.  While we didn't make it to any of the museums today, I can't even begin to describe the feeling I got when walking into the two churches we made it to.  But I'll try.

When you look at these houses of worship from the outside you can't help but notice they're old.  It's not just that they're old, but there's a certain quality to the craftsmanship that doesn't seem to exist very much today.  It seems like an artist has poured their heart and soul into the creation of this structure.  And the inside is exactly the same.  The first church we entered was very dark, while the second had a lot more sunlight.  But the number of reliquaries and frescoes, many of which dated back to at least the 17th century with some as old as the 14th century, was mind-boggling.  And breath-taking.  Literally.  It's been a very long time since I've felt so humbled in a house of worship.

In a way, it makes me really sad that America is so quick to throw out the old and bring in the new.  Even after visiting only two churches, I fully understand that Greek Cypriots are very proud of their history and they understand the impact that the early religious figures have had on what Christianity has become today.

The Lady of Cypriot
Liberty
After ogling in the churches and wandering around the city some more, we finally came to the Cypriot Liberty Monument.  Being just the three of us, and with none of us knowing Greek, we aren't completely sure yet of the story behind this monument.  But the date of 1973 leads me to believe that it has something to do with bringing freedom to Greek Cypriots who had been captured by the Turkish invaders in Northern Cyprus.  I admit that I may be 100% wrong, but I will certainly let you know the truth when I find it out.  Regardless, the monument was impressive.  And standing atop this monument, watching over the soldiers who raised the gates of oppression and guiding the people to freedom was none other than a lady of liberty.



It may sound cliche, and maybe dumb to some people, but it made me pause and think about my own freedom as an American.  Knowing what I know now of the struggle in Cyprus (that has been going on for almost 37 years now), I appreciate my daily freedoms that I tend to take for granted.  Even just having the ability to travel to this country, that I never knew anything about.

I'll end with that thought.  What does freedom mean to you? What do you take for granted that others, in far less fortunate situations, would almost die for?

It kind of makes you think. And, maybe, feel just a little more grateful.

The Liberty Monument

No comments:

Post a Comment